The AAP Section on Early Career Physicians (SOECP) invites nominations for the 2021 AAP SOECP Excellence in Education Award. One individual or entity of the American Academy of Pediatrics is awarded the SOECP Leadership in Advocacy Award each year. The award recipient will be honored during a virtual SOECP Networking and Awards Reception in 2021. The award provides full general registration for the 2021 AAP National Conference and Exhibition and a $1,000 honorarium.
Note: Checks can be made out to individuals or institutions. Checks payable to individuals require a social security number in order to be processed. If chosen as a recipient, you will be contacted for that information if you request the check to be payable to you. Please note that you will receive a tax statement from the AAP if you receive $600 or more from the AAP in the calendar year. If an entity is selected, the SOECP will provide two (2) 2021 National Conference registration scholarships. Scholarships are not transferrable and not redeemable for cash.
The award is presented to an early career physician or entity (insitution, work team, AAP group, chapter, or other) who does several of the following:
- Demonstrates unique educational initiative to advance medical knowledge in the academic center or community level
- Shows personal expertise as an educator and mentor
- Evidence as an outstanding educator in a clinical setting to medical students, residents and or other health professionals
Examples of awardee accomplishments may include:
- Implementing programs and strategies to increase family engagement and satisfaction
- Building successful community partnerships to improve outcomes for families of diverse cultural, linguistic, and immigrant backgrounds
- Expanding patient and family education initiatives beyond the center level, to influence community/local health
- Demonstrated impact as a clinical educator through innovation in curricular design, new courses or delivery of teaching material
- Evidence of scholarship in clinical teaching through peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations, workshops, posters and abstracts
- For consideration, a nominee must be a physician practicing in pediatrics, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, and a resident of the United States or Canada.
- For group (institution, team, chapter, section, etc.) nominations, an individual must be identified as the project lead for all communications regarding the nomination and project.
- Nominees are not required to be members of the Section on Early Career Physicians; however, preference is given to Section members.
- Members of the SOECP Executive Committee and the AAP Board of Directors are not eligible to receive this award during their term of service.
- Deceased persons are not eligible for awards.
- An individual may only receive one SOECP award per year.
- A project that has previously been granted the award may not be resubmitted. If not awarded, the project may be resubmitted.
Nomination Process: A diverse group of early career pediatricians from the SOECP Leadership Council will select the award recipient through a competitive nominations process. This Review Committee will include members from the SOECP Executive Committee, SOECP Workgroups, and SOECP Nominations Committee. These individuals will review all nomination materials.
Nominating an Individual: To nominate a physician, a nominator who is familiar with the candidate’s career must:
- Notify the candidate of the nomination prior to submission.
- Complete and submit the Nomination Form below.
Note: When nominating a physician, this form will automatically email the nominee and request that they complete the remainder of the application, including submitting a Bio-Sketch and an optional Letter of Support.
Please submit nominations with ample time before the deadline to ensure that nominees are able to complete an application on their behalf.
Nominating an Entity: To nominate an entity, such as an institution, work team, community group, AAP group, chapter, or other type of collective group, you must:
Self-Nominations and Nominees: To self-nominate or complete an application, you must:
- Complete and submit the Nomination Form below.
- (Optional) Submit a letter of support from an individual who is knowledgeable of the entity's accomplishments. A letter may be submitted by a community partner, colleague, or family that benefited from the group's work.
- Provide a reference.
- Submit a 1-page Bio-Sketch. Click here to download a template (.docx)
- (Optional) Submit a letter of support from an individual who is knowledgeable of your accomplishments. A letter may be submitted by a community partner, colleague, or family served by you.
- Please do not send any additional letters of support or materials. Additional letters or materials will not be reviewed.
- (For self-nominations) Provide information for a professional reference.
Deadline: August 1, 2021, 11:59pm Central Time
Questions? Please contact Britt Nagy at firstname.lastname@example.org.