Deadline to apply: Sunday, March 1, 2020, 11:59 PM CT
The Section on Early Career Physicians (SOECP) is pleased to welcome applications for the 2020-2022 class of the Young Physicians Leadership Alliance (YPLA), a 3-year training program designed to develop leaders and build a leadership community amongst early career physicians. This is an experiential learning program for emerging leaders who have demonstrated leadership potential through their current involvement in the AAP and home institutions. The program includes annual, interactive sessions at the AAP National Conference and Exhibition, intersession webinars, conference calls, and an individual leadership project with guidance from experienced faculty leaders.
Throughout the program, participants are expected to complete readings and assignments prior to learning sessions and remain actively engaged in all virtual and in-person activities. The leadership curriculum will be completed over the 3-year cycle, and graduates of the program will be eligible to apply to become faculty for future iterations of the program.
Applicants must have completed training within 6 months of YPLA matriculation (i.e. graduating trainees may apply). Given the program’s purpose of providing support and education for emerging leaders with immediate leadership needs, ideal candidates will have completed training 2 or more years prior to beginning the program and currently hold a significant leadership role at their institution or with a professional organization.
- In-person half-day session at the AAP National Conference and Exhibition each year for 3 years - future dates, times, and locations presented on the AAP National Conference and SOECP website
- Up to three, 1-hour educational webinars per year scheduled based on the group's availability
- Bi-monthly, 1-hour calls with faculty leaders and 5-6 other participants (coaching group)
- Pre-work/reading for each in-person session and educational webinar
- Individual commitment to growth and learning via work on an independent leadership project
Leadership Project Titles/Examples:
- Standardization of Newborn Care in Military Medical Center
- Firearm Injury Prevention Screening and Counseling
- Research in Fellowship Training: A Fellow-led Research Handbook Initiative
If interested, please complete and submit the application below. Applicants must be a member of the AAP and the SOECP. Application deadline is March 1, 2020. Recipients will be notified by April 30, 2020.
The 2020 YPLA session will take place on Friday, October 2 from 7:00am - 12:30pm in conjunction with the AAP National Conference in San Diego, CA from October 2-6, 2020. For information on future conference dates, refer to the AAP National Conference and SOECP websites.
Attendance & Participation: The curriculum is designed to allow each participant the opportunity to learn advanced leadership skills over the three-year period. In order to take advantage of the full program, attendance is required at each YPLA session and on each webinar and conference call for the duration of the three years. Please secure approval from your employer/supervisor prior to applying for the program. Active engagement and evidence of progressive work on a leadership project during the program is expected.
Financial Support: The AAP, SOECP, and YPLA program are not able to provide financial support for attending the YPLA sessions at the AAP National Conference. Please plan accordingly.
The YPLA Leadership Program is funded through the generosity of the AAP Insurance Program and Kabrita USA.